Image via 247Sports.com
– Cameron Rising: The biggest news of the weekend came when Newbury Park (CA) QB Cameron Rising flipped from Oklahoma to Texas. Rising had a huge sophomore season, totaling nearly 4,000 total yards (3,213 passing, 756 rushing) and 51 TD’s (40 passing, 11 rushing) to only 1 INT. His junior season was a disappointment as he only played 5 games after separating his shoulder in the season opener and missing the majority of the year recovering. I’ve been working with our TFB contributor and former college QB in Seth McKenzie to get an evaluation of Rising out for you guys soon.
To me the biggest impact in landing Rising for Tom Herman is showing that he can recruit nationally against some of the best in the nation. He flipped a California QB in Rising from an OU team that has been winning at a very high level, and then goes out and lands a Top 10 players in the state of Florida in WR Justin Watkins over the blue bloods in the southeast.
– Reese Moore Evaluation: As most know, Seminole (TX) OT Reese Moore committed to Texas on Sunday over Oklahoma, TCU, and others. He is a very interesting prospect as he plays TE and DE at his small West Texas HS. He is 6’6 270 right now so he definitely projects as an OT at the next level. Moore was one of Derek Warehime’s Top 2 OT targets along with Rafiti Ghirmai.
I spoke with JY, a contributor on both sites at TFB, who played offensive tackle in college. Here’s what he told me:
“First off he has a great frame. Reminds me of Lane Johnson who went 4th overall a few years ago, who went from a QB to a TE/DE in JUCO before ending up at OT. His hands are huge. With those white gloves it looks like the Hamburger Helper dude. He’s very athletic obviously, he’ll have no issue getting out athleted vs DEs. Does very very well in the run game. Locates LB’s easily and can move laterally to relocate and work to the second level. Athleticism allows him to handle spin moves and counter moves of defenders with ease.
Technique will be where he has to work. Tends to hit players with his chest and negates his reach advantage. In high school he’s able to overcome that but will have to correct it at UT. Looks like a hard worker with some nasty in him. No doubt he looks like he could be a high round talent with hard work, strength development, and refinement of technique.”
I think JY hit the nail on the head here. Moore has the size and athleticism you love at OT. Now it’s up to him and Derek Warehime to refine his game. – (JY/Andrew)
– Coach On The Road: The Texas coaching staff is hitting the road seeing just about every main target on their board right now on Wednesday-Friday and will get back on the road again next week. Some of the main guys they’ve seen/will see so far are…
Craig Naivar was by to see Angleton (TX) 5-star S BJ Foster on Wednesday.
Oscar Giles saw Arl. Lamar (TX) DL Tre Brown yesterday.
Jason Washington was at Bishop Dunne on Wednesday to see DL Calvin Avery and 2019 S Brain Williams and WR Marquez Beason.
Drew Mehringer and Washington will be at Hou. Lamar on Monday to see CB Anthony Cook, WR Al’Vonte Woodard, CB D’Shawn Jamison, RB Ta’Zhawn Henry, and DL Josh Landry.
Mehringer will also be out in Florida to see WR commit Justin Watkins.
Tim Beck will be in the Sooner state to see QB commit Casey Thompson.
Todd Orlando has been in the DFW area and will see LB commit Byron Hobbs and LB target DaShaun White.
Derek Warehime will be in the Houston area to see Katy (TX) OT Connor Galvin.
Jason Washington will also see CB Jalen Green and S Leon O’Neal Jr while he’s in Houston.
– Casey Thompson: In speaking to some sources, I’ll be quite surprised if Thompson sticks with Texas. My sense is that while Thompson expected Texas to take a second quarterback, he wasn’t expecting it to be someone of the caliber of a Cameron Rising. Make no mistake, Rising is special. Lincoln Riley and those Mike Leach guys don’t make many mistakes when it comes to QB evaluations and Rising was their guy from jump. – (Super K)
– TJ Pledger: I do currently expect the talented RB out of IMG Academy to stick with the Sooners but I am told Rising is going to go after Pledger and recruit him to Texas. – (Super K)