Image via Scout.com
– Alston Orji: Super K has been in and out of town recently, but he did mention that he spoke with the father of Rockwall (TX) LB Alston Orji recently. In a down year at LB in the state of Texas, Orji is a name to know. Orji’s father said that while a decision date is up to Alston, he would like to see him shut things down in the next few weeks. We get the sense that the main schools that are in the mix are Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and a possible dark horse in Vanderbilt.
Orji’s father said that the depth chart and playing opportunity are going to play a role in the decision and told K that another factor is that “I believe that if a player isn’t playing or the team isn’t winning the effect of that spills over into other areas of the players life like academics which is what we emphasize”. He also noted that Texas already has LB Bryon Hobbs committed, so it’s clear they are analyzing every aspect of each school.
Orji has visited Texas, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma over the last few months. Alston told me last night that he still isn’t sure on when a decison will come or if he wants to take some other visits before shutting things down, and that right now he is completely focused on helping his team this Spring. Texas went to visit Orji early during the Spring Eval period. I agree with K in the thought that Oklahoma and Texas A&M are likely the leaders for him as of today. – (Andrew/Super K)
– Fast 7on7: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 7on7 team talked about as much in terms of recruiting as we’ve seen with the Houston based “Fast 7on7” squad. But I can also say I haven’t seen a 7on7 team in the state of Texas stacked with talent as we see with this team. For awhile we talked about them a lot over at TFB as their QB, Casey Thompson, committed to Texas and that he could really help Texas with some of his superstar teammates like WR’s Brennan Eagles and Jaylen Waddle, or DB’s D’Shawn Jamison, Leon O’Neal Jr, and Jalen Green.
It looks like Texas will have some more recruiting power on that team in recent Texas commit S Caden Sterns.
— FAST 🤘🏾7v7 🦍 (@Fast7v7) May 16, 2017
All I will say is that this can’t hurt Texas’ recruiting efforts with those guys on that team. – (Andrew)
– DeMarvion Overshown: One of the most interesting recruits in the state of Texas in Arp (TX) S/LB DeMarvion Overshown plans to cut his list down soon.
Dropping my top 15 Thursday
— DeMarvion Overshown (@dee_overshown6) May 15, 2017
Overshown is a guy that burst onto the recruiting scene just after National Signing Day and added multiple offers just about everyday for awhile in February it seemed. Tom Herman and Texas offered Overshown less than two weeks after the new staff arrived in Austin. The fact that Overshown grew up with a lot of Texas fans in his house and that they offered him when only UTSA had offered, those things gave the Longhorns a big edge early on. They still seem to hold the lead for the 6’4 200 pound S/OLB, and I’d be shocked if they didn’t make his Top 15. – (Andrew)
– Marquez Beason: Texas extended a new 2019 offer last night to Bishop Dunne (TX) WR Marquez Beason.
— Marquez Beason 🎦 (@ezmoneyquez) May 16, 2017
Beason made a bit of a surprise commitment to Nebraska about a month ago. But that hasn’t stopped other schools from coming after him, and he is listening. He told me he is committed to Nebraska, but said “I have two years left in high school so I’ve got time” when I asked about how solid his commitment is. He told me Texas had been to his school to see him this Spring but still said he was “shocked” after the offer came in.
Beason added that he wants to visit Texas, Georgia, Illinois, and some other schools this summer. – (Andrew)
– Bonus Note: There has been some chatter of a rather large shakeup in terms of offensive recruiting based off of some things that have happened over the last week or so. I’m not going to go into detail on it right now, as it might not happen. I will just say that if it does, it would be a bold move by Texas.