Image via 247Sports
– Jaquayln Crawford: With Texas falling behind for a guy like slot WR Jaylen Waddle, a guy to keep an eye on if Texas wants to take another slot WR is Rockdale (TX) ATH Jaquayln Crawford. His top schools are Texas, TCU, OU, Texas A&M, and some other out of state schools but I don’t see Crawford going that far. He is an interesting player, as he’s only around 5’10 and can play slot WR or DB at the next level. He has told me he prefers to play WR at the next level but isn’t against playing defense at all.
Crawford said that with Texas already having a slot WR currently committed in Justin Watkins has some effect on his recruitment, but said “I can outwork anyone. And also being versatile enough to play defense if I need to so I’m not too worried.” The fact that he can play DB and WR at the next level is why I see him being a take for Texas. Though he is very high on TCU so if they sell him on being their #1 slot WR that could be a turning point. Texas A&M has also been turning up the heat on him a bit recently.
He is still working on a decison timeline, and his last visit was to Texas for the Spring game. Texas WR coach Drew Mehringer has visited him two times this Spring, and was actually at Rockdale yesterday. – (Andrew)
– BJ Foster: The big news of the morning was the 5-star S BJ Foster is taking yet another visit to Texas this weekend. He and his mother are heading to new Austin to meet with the Texas staff before heading over to watch some Angleton athletes compete in the state track meet. It is good news for Texas to get Foster back on campus, he plans to make his decision in June or July.
In even bigger news with Foster, his mother let me know that he should be fully cleared to return to all football activities after tearing his ACL last season. The Opening Finals in Oregon will be his first time back out on the field. – (Andrew)
– Texas Commits Visiting: The state track meet will be in Austin this weekend, and while there are some NCAA/UIL rules that keep most athletes from visiting Texas there are some that work around it and visit. 3 guys that will visit Texas regardless are 3 of their current commits in Putnam City (OK) DE Ron Tatum, Eastern Hills (TX) OLB Byron Hobbs, and newest Texas commit Steele (TX) S Caden Sterns. – (Andrew)
– Jordan Whittington: One of Texas’ newest 2019 offers went out to Cuero (TX) ATH Jordan Whittington.
— Jordan❄Whittington (@J_Whitt3) May 9, 2017
Whittington is a Top 100 recruit nationally in the 2019 class and holds offers from Ohio State, Stanford, Oklahoma, Florida State, and others already. One thing interesting about this offer, is that Whittington told me Texas offered him as a CB. Most of the schools that have offered have done so as a WR. Whittington also told me that the Texas staff let him know that they’d like to use him on the offensive side of the balls at times in certain packages. Right now he doesn’t have a preference on what position he’d rather play in college, and just wants to be used as many ways as possible.
Whittington will be in Austin this weekend for the State track meet but told me he won’t likely be able to visit. – (Andrew)
– Spencer Rattler: Another 2019 offer went out recently, to Pennacle (AZ) QB Spencer Rattler.
— Spencer Rattler (@SpencerRattler) May 9, 2017
Before this offer, Port Neches-Groves (TX) QB Roschon Johnson was the only other 2019 QB to pick up a Texas offer. I’ve stated that I feel really good about Texas’ chances to land Johnson, and I still feel that way.
When I spoke with Rattler, he told me he was very happy to pick up the Texas offer and that “The Texas offer is of course a great offer to have, especially being from Arizona. They usually don’t offer kids out West. So I’m grateful that they offered me.” QB Coach/OC Tim Beck offered Rattler and wants him to head out to Austin for a visit. Rattler told me he won’t likely visit Texas this summer but hopes to by next.
I’d continue to keep a much closer eye on Roschon Johnson than Rattler IMO if I was a Texas fan. – (Andrew)