– Rafiti Ghirmai: So far in the 2018 class Texas has had a lot of success recruiting at skill positions. And with Reese Moore in the fold, Texas has a very talented offensive linemen committed. But I expect Texas to take 3-4 OL in 2018 so they’ve still got some spots to fill.
Wakeland (TX) OT Rafiti Ghirmai is a top target at OT. He was once considered an LSU lean after a great visit. Then the Tigers landed OT Cameron Wire, some said they wanted to fill the other OT spot with a JUCO recruit so they cooled on Ghirmai. The other school to watch is UCLA, Ghirmai has visited Westwood multiple times now and I was told he loves the thought of living in LA for college.
He visited Alabama in June, but I’m not sure he’s a take for the Tide. And he was at Michigan and UCLA this weekend. He visited Texas in mid-June so he’s taking quite a few visits this summer. He originally planned to commit this summer but when I talked to him a few weeks ago he said he probably wasn’t going to make a decision before the season. He wants to take some official visits first, and told me that Texas and UCLA are the only two schools that will “for sure” get official visits as of right now.
Texas, UCLA, Michigan, Alabama, and LSU (if they push) are the schools to watch for him right now. – (Andrew)
– Tommy Bush: Texas WR target, Tommy Bush and his mother were expected to be in Austin this morning to watch practice. However, those plans changed last minute. He will be at Texas this evening.
— Andrew King (@Andrew_TFB) July 31, 2017
I asked Bush when a decision might come to which he responded, “It could happen anytime once we as a family agree on a school…”
I have spoken to a source on the Texas side and Texas is in a position right now where with some WRs already committed so they are working through their 2018 priorities to determine how many more they may or may not need. It does sound like they’d like to really see what they have now that fall camp has started. – (Super K)
– Jaylen Waddle: As many of you know by now, our favorite WR, Jaylen Waddle (Houston, TX) made a surprise visit to Texas last week. I have not spoken to Waddle just yet but I did speak to someone close to Waddle and the visit went very well. A source close to Waddle said, “I can definitely see him ending up at Texas. He’s always liked Texas. Alabama, Oregon, FSU those schools are definitely in it too but Texas is a school he’s always liked and that’s hard to beat”.
I do expect Waddle to take his official visits and keep a close eye on Texas’ progress this season. I surmise that Texas’ performance on the field will ultimately make the difference. – (Super K)
– Israel Antwine: Last week Texas offered 2018 DT, Israel Antwine (OKC) while on a visit to UT. We had mentioned that the Ole Miss commit would likely decommit. That came to pass last night as Antwine announced his de-commitment from Ole Miss via twitter…
This has been a long thought out decision and not an reaction. Thank you for understanding God bless. pic.twitter.com/eeRkuEYeY1
— Israel antwine (@IsraelAntwine) July 31, 2017
We do expect a decision to come fairly quickly. We’re working to find out more on where Texas stands. Expect TCU, Texas and Oklahoma State to be the favorites at the moment. – (Super K)
– Damone Clark: Yesterday, Texas hosted 2018 LSU LB commit, Damone Clark (Baton Rouge, LA). Clark picked up an offer from the Texas staff…
— Damone Clark (@clark_damone) July 30, 2017
I spoke with someone close to Clark with the assumption that a Louisiana committed to LSU would be impossible to flip. The source said, “I wouldn’t close the book on him yet. I believe a lot of LSU recruitment will hinge on the season.” The source also noted that Clark is friends with Malcolm Roach and Roach’s success had Texas has caught the eye of some of the Louisiana players. – (Super K)
– Team Notes: A few quick hitters from the beginning of camp. Obviously early so nothing too earth shattering.
*Fall camp began yesterday, late afternoon. I was told that the team had meetings and tested verticals and broad jumps. I’m trying to get some numbers on the verticals. I’m specifically interested to know what Gary Johnson jumped. I was told that John Burt had one of the best vertical jumps of the evening. – (Super K)
*Chris Warren is up to 250 lbs but we are told that he’s wearing it very well and though it’s early, it seems he is moving much better as well.
*We are told, as of now, out of the freshman big men, Taquon Graham looks the best and is the most likely to contribute this season.
*With the departure of Brandon Hodges, the RT position is one to continue to watch. We are told that Tristan Nickelson ran with the 1s today ahead of Denzel Okafor. We expect that to be a battle.
*Still no Damion Miller but we are told there’s still a chance he could make it in before fall camp is over.
*Also, told that Kris Boyd had an INT during 7v7 period. We are told that the two starting CBs today were Boyd and Hill. – (Andrew & Super K)
– UPDATE (5:45 PM): We were told that Jake McMillon started at center, and Zach Shackelford at RG. Williams at LT, Vahe at LG, and Nickelson at RT.