– Nik Bonitto: Texas hosted 2018 LB, Nik Bonitto (Fort Lauderdale, FL) this past weekend and he came away impressed. “It was amazing. The environment overall was great and the staff just really welcomed me in. And I really got along with the commits that were there this weekend”.
— Super K (@SuperK_TFB) October 23, 2017
Based on my conversations with sources on the Texas side it sounds like Bonitto is a guy they like and if they pushed for a commitment they could land him. In fact one source said that Bonitto made that clear to the staff.
But right now the staff seems to be content waiting and my guess is they’re waiting to see what Joseph Ossai decides. Both Bonitto and Ossai appear to be vying for the same spot. – (Super K)
– Colin Clay: Most of you know the main recruits that visited Texas over the weekend which included guys like QB Cam Rising, OT Badara Traore, WR Rondale Moore, DE Joseph Ossai, ’19 OT Tyler Johnson and others. We plan to have updates on just about every single one of those guys soon. But there was an under-the-radar 2019 recruit that I really like, and he visited Texas over the weekend. He is Putnam City (OK) DE Collin Clay.
He holds early offers from Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Tulsa, SMU, and Arkansas State. Right now he’s 6’5 230 but I think he could grow into a really solid DE. When I talked to him about his visit he told me “It was really good! Loved the atmosphere and the coaches were really fun to interact with!” There was one certain part of the game that he thought was really cool, and he said “my favorite part about the game is when every time Texas had to kick off the guys on the sideline would bunch up and start getting hype! Jumping around in everything.”
He spoke with some of the coaches before the game, but told me that there has been no talk about a possible offer just yet. They’re still just evaluating Clay right now, but he’s a name to keep an eye on going forward. – (Andrew)
– Dominick Wood-Anderson Decommits: There have been rumors swirling around about this possibility for a while. Earlier this week JUCO TE Dominick Wood-Anderson has announced his decommittment.
— Reasons (@TheRealYungDom) October 23, 2017
Alabama and OU are the teams to beat going forward. I am told that Wood-Anderson is still in play for Texas and that they are going to continue to recruit both him and Mustapha Muhammad. I am also told that Bralen Taylor is a guy not likely to receive an offer. – (Super K)
– Ronnie Perkins: Source close to Perkins tells me in no uncertain terms that despite the loss Perkins’ number one school is Texas. He will visit OU this weekend. We’ll see if that holds up.
– Rondale Moore: As most of you know, Trinity (KY) Texas WR commit Rondale Moore officially visited Texas over the weekend. He has been committed to Texas since late June, though most knew that his commitment wasn’t the strongest going into the weekend. The distance to home factor between his home in Louisville, Kentucky all the way to Texas has been weighing on his mind. The main school looking to flip him is Purdue.
If you read TFB you would know about the connection between Moore and Purdue. The Boilermakers HC Jeff Brohm went to Moore’s HS and was a superstar QB, so there are a lot of people around that program that love Brohm. That and the fact that Purdue is a lot closer to Louisville than Texas has been helping the Boilermakers out with Moore.
I talked to the source again today, as Moore says very little to the media. And they told me “Rondale said it was a really good visit, he loved the game atmosphere. Obviously the big thing they sold him on was making Texas feel like home.” I was told the Texas staff feels good about the job they did in that regard. Though Moore still plans to officially visit Purdue and probably Ohio State. I’m not sure he’s a take for the Buckeyes right now.
This is a rare recruitment that’s pretty black and white. Moore loves Texas, but if the distance to home factor is too much for him I expect Purdue to flip him. If it’s not too big of a factor, I expect him to sign with Texas. We will keep you guys updated on this one moving forward. – (Andrew)
– Cam Rising: Based on information from our sources that we had to keep strictly on the private donor board, there was some concern prior to the Texas visit that Ehlinger asserting himself as the definitive starter would cause guys like Rising to look elsewhere. We can’t comment much on it here but I will note that speaking to source after the visit, the Rising family came away feeling very much like it will be a fair and open competition in the spring once Rising gets on campus.
We will continue to watch this one. This is probably the one upside to the offense struggling. Long term, guys like Casey and Rising are critical to pushing Texas out of this close games and allowing them to start to dominate teams. It’s very obvious they are already there on the defensive side of the ball. – (Super K)
– Team Note | Foreman: With Reggie Hemphill-Mapps out, Foreman is receiving the 1st team reps in the slot. Obviously worth noting given the very vocal concerns of Foreman’s father.
– Team Note | Collin Johnson: Johnson continues to struggle in practice and remains second team this week.