– This week Texas offered Garrett Wilson (Austin, TX), one of the most explosive 2019 WRs in the state.
— Garrett Wilson (@GarrettWilson_V) November 30, 2017
I spoke with Wilson recently but before his offer. We talked about offers he was interested and Texas was certainly one of them. But the school to watch here is Ohio State. Wilson is a Columbus, OH native. He actually lived much of his life in Columbus and some of his family still resides there. In that conversation Wilson told me that the Ohio State offer would be a big one for him and the Buckeyes are in touch with him. – (Super K)
– Texas began the conversation with JUCO OT, Jahmir Johnson (Arizona Western) earlier this fall. In fact I spoke with Jahmir back at the beginning of November and he told me and coach Warehime had been in touch beginning around the end of October.
It seems Texas hesitated a bit in offering Johnson because he isn’t a December grad so he won’t be able to go through winter conditioning and spring ball. He’s expected to graduate in May.
— JayJay (@jahmirjohnson34) November 30, 2017
We’ll have more on this shortly. It’s good to see Texas working to remedy the offensive line issue. They have to do so in order to compete next year. – (Super K)
– Spoke with someone close to Badara Traore and was told something that made me a little more optimistic about Texas’ chances with Traore. Source said, “Badara is going to go the place that gives him the best immediate opportunity. Even if he likes another place better he will where there’s the best opportunity”. Hard to imagine LSU being a better opportunity with all the young guys they’re playing. If Traore is a sharp guy (and I’ve been told he is), Texas would seem like the choice. – (Super K)
– Texas WR coach, Drew Mehringer was in Louisiana to see Terrace Marshall. Mehringer stopped by the barber shop where Marshall’s father works and then later did an in-home visit. LSU is still going to be tough to beat but we should know more after Herman does his in-home visit with Marshall in the coming week or two. – (Super K)
– Spoke with a source who tells me that Boling (TX) ATH Vernon Jackson is set to visit Texas next weekend for their big official visit weekend on December 8th. Jackson is committed to Alabama right now, but that hasn’t stopped him from taking visits, specifically to Texas and Texas A&M. I was told Jackson might be looking to play closer to home, which could make things interesting in this one. Of note, he had a official visit set to Oklahoma which he cancelled at the last minute. Perhaps more proof that he wants to play closer to home.
Before Sumlin was fired, Texas A&M had the clear in-state advantage over Texas. Texas has done a good job of building the relationship with Jackson after offering him later in the process (July). He unofficially visited Texas during the season and getting him back on campus for an official shows that his interest is legit.
Jackson is 6’4 240 pounds, and he actually plays QB for his HS. But he’s a DE or H-Back at the next level. Texas is recruiting him at DE and DL. Coach Oscar Giles was out to see Jackson recently. This is a guy to watch moving forward. – (Andrew)