– Calvin Anderson: Just spoke with Rice left tackle graduate transfer, Calvin Anderson. It sounds like the visit really couldn’t have gone any better.
“I was a as good as a visit can go. I’ve been to Texas a number of times but they did the extra stuff. It was nice. I appreciate the glamour. You know, the hotel set up, the food and all but really I loved talking to coach Hand and coach Herman and spending time with Breckyn [Hager] and Sam [Ehlinger]”.
Anderson spoke so glowingly of coach Hand that it’s hard not to be optimistic, not only about Hand’s ability to potentially bring in Anderson, but for future recruiting efforts as well, “He’s one of the coolest coaches I’ve ever met. He’s going to be incredible for UT. He’s extremely intelligent. He’s not just a student of the game but a student of life as well”.
While at Auburn, Hand recruited Anderson. In fact coach Hand was the first coach that Anderson actually met after he announced his decision to leave Rice.
Anderson said that the time he spent reviewing film with the staff really stood out but said every aspect of the visit was top notch, “I went in with high expectations but they were all outdone. They exceeded my expectations down to the details. For example, in a previous conversation I guess I had mentioned that my favorite food is pickles. So, when I got to my hotel room they had jars of pickles everywhere”.
While Anderson didn’t outright state that Texas is his leader, the Horns seem to have shaken things up in terms of his process, “I don’t know how much better it will get than Texas. There’s not much more I need to see. They checked a lot of boxes and created new boxes”.
Anderson was originally planning on taking all five official visits but now says, “I’ll visit Michigan next weekend. After that I’m not sure. I may only end up taking two or three visits”. Auburn, Oklahoma and others are trying to get Anderson on a visit but so far he says he’s not certain which, if any, others schools outside of Michigan will get a visit.
In terms of a decision timeline, Anderson originally said he wanted to be done by March 25th (his birthday) but it now sounds like he may make a decision far sooner than that. – (Super K)
– Keondre Coburn: Texas DT Keondre Coburn took an official visit to Miami over the weekend.
Otw to Miami 🙌🏿 pic.twitter.com/SUrNtm3MBW
— Keondre Coburn⁹⁹ (@KeondreCoburn99) January 20, 2018
I will say that Miami isn’t a major threat here, at least IMO. If he takes visits to Texas A&M and TCU over the last two weekends before NSD then I’d be more worried if I was Texas. So that’s something I’ll be keeping a closer eye on. – (Andrew)
– I checked in with head coach at West Rusk, where Texas A&M DL, Tyree Wilson plays ball and am told that Wilson will take a official visit to Texas this upcoming weekend.
As I’ve previously noted, Wilson is an exceptional athlete and a very large human being. He really is the definition of a player where the coaching he receives will hit a ceiling before his ability does. – (Super K)
– Also, spoke with the mother of star 2019 DT, DeMarvin Leal (Converse, TX). I’ll have more from my conversation with her later but wanted to note that coach Tom Herman went by to see Leal on Friday. That is two visits from the Texas staff in one week for Leal. Think he’s a high priority for Texas? – (Super K)
– Caleb Okechukwu: Texas extended to weekend official visitor St. John’s (DC) DE Caleb Okechukwu.
— Caleb Okechukwu (@IamCaleb_18) January 22, 2018
Right now, Tennessee is the main competition for Okechukwu. Texas is in a prime position to land DE Michael Williams from Louisiana. If they want to take both Williams and Okechukwu, they both could very well end up in Texas’ 2018 class. – (Andrew)
– Weekend Official Visitors: Texas hosted a few official visitors over the weekend.
St. John’s (DC) DE Caleb Okechukwu
Durham School (LA) DE Mike Williams
Lake Travis (TX) K Cameron Dicker
Yoakum (TX) WR Joshua Moore
Rice Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson
It sounds like it was a very positive weekend all-around for Texas. And a possible commitment could be coming soon. As hinted by Director of Player Personnel Bryan Carrington.
— Bʀʏᴀɴ Cᴀʀʀɪɴɢᴛᴏɴ (@BCarringtonUT) January 21, 2018
Look for something to happen on this front as early as today.
– Arjei Henderson: One of the top WR’s in the nation in 2019 is FB Travis (TX) 5-star WR Arjei Henderson. His recruitment has been an interesting one so far. He made early commitments to both Oklahoma, then Oregon, but backed out of both pledges. He has told me he’s going to wait awhile before he makes his final decision but it looks like he’s going to take his official visits before the season begins.
— Hendi™ (@king_hendi) January 19, 2018
Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, and Ole Miss are the schools that will get visits from him as of today. Oklahoma made a surge in this recruitment during the season. And I think it ends up being a battle between the Sooners and Longhorns for Arjei Henderson. – (Andrew)