– In case you missed it, Ron Sanders of 247Sports is reporting that, per sources former Oregon HC, Mark Helfrich is being considered for OC at Texas. We cannot confirm this. We can say that there were rumors (starting about a month ago) passing through the grapevine that a change could come after the bowl game but it was never something we could verify.
– Spoke with 2019 DB, Jalen Catalon this week. He let me know that he plans to visit Texas soon…most likely for an upcoming jr day. Texas has offered Catalon and Demani Richardson (who we plan to speak with soon). We think those two will be the top in-state safeties Texas will pursue along with 5-star Brain Williams. (Super K)
– We recently spoke with 2019 WR Garrett Wilson and his father. They also plan to visit Texas soon. Again, I think you’ll see him at the junior day.
An interesting note from the conversation with Wilson is that even though Garrett grew up in Columbus their family really like Austin, and they have a number of ties to multiple schools and locations. In fact Wilson has a older brother who played at Iowa and a older brother at Georgia Tech.
Wilson appears to be Texas top in-state WR target. (Super K)
– Last week Texas A&M TE coach, Tim Brewster, tweeted out something to the effect that the Fisher and co. were the first to offer Jaylen Waddle.
Who was the 1st to offer and who know you the best….😎
— Tim Brewster (@TimBrewster) December 29, 2017
We actually asked Waddle who was indeed the first to offer. He said coach Tom Herman was the first to offer him when Herman was at Houston. (Super K)
– There was a report coming out of the Under Armour All-American Practices that Texas A&M WR commit Jalen Preston might take some other official visits. I talked to someone close to Preston recently about this possibility.
I was told “he’s thinking about taking some visits. But I don’t see him ending up anywhere but College Station.” I was also told that the main schools he’s considering visiting are Arkansas, Florida, and Texas.
With the Longhorns, they stopped recruiting Preston for awhile after guys like Brennan Eagles and Al’Vonte Woodard committed. But the communication has picked back up between the two parties. One person even told me “the only reason he’s even thinking about a Texas visit is because he’s so close with those other Houston guys.”
After losing Rondale Moore’s commitment, Texas only has two WR’s signed in 2018. They’d like to take at least one more in this class. (Andrew King)
– The consensus has been that 2018 OLB/DE, Joseph Ossai has been leaning towards Texas A&M. In fact we had previously heard that as long as Terry Price was retained Ossai would end up at TAMU.
We are now told that Texas made this a race. (Super K)
– Defensive line recruiting is a bit of a concern right now. We’ve mentioned a number of Texas’ targets. A guy we haven’t mentioned in a while is Daniel Carson (Independence, MO). You will recall that Carson visited Texas in the fall.
I am told that Carson is a take for Texas and that the Horns are in a good spot for him. I spoke with Carson and he said that he will likely announce something just after the middle of the month. In terms of additional visits he said, “I haven’t made up my mind if I want to do any or not”.
Again, Texas is pushing here. The other team to watch in this one is Nebraska. (Super K)