We have finally made it to the month of February my friends…two more days until NSD. Texas still has quite a few spots to fill. I’ve been expecting 25 in the 2016 class but that number may be 24 now with Irvin Smith likely heading to Alabama. Things can always change during these last few days and things always seem to change.
– Chris Daniels: 2016 DT and former Sooner commit, Chris Daniels will announce his commitment on signing day. Daniels is primarily focused in on three schools: Texas, Texas A&M, and OU.
Daniels took a visit to Texas A&M this past weekend. The aggies were at one time Daniels leader. In talking to Daniels Sr. it sounds like the visit went really well but my take on it was that they didn’t do enough to threaten OU and Texas.
For a couple weeks now, I’ve been saying that I feel Texas has a small lead here and I’m sticking with that prediction. But we will know for certain in a couple of days. – (Super K)
– Brandon Jones: Nacogdoches (TX) S Brandon Jones visited Baylor this past weekend for his final official visit before his NSD commitment. I briefly spoke to a source close to Jones about how the Baylor visit went and where things stand in his recruitment. I was told the visit went “pretty good and the top 3 are Texas, Baylor, and Texas A&M”. There had been some rumblings that Texas A&M was making a big push and there is some truth to that. I was told that the primary reason for that is, “there are so many Aggies out in Nacogdoches”. The source told me that if Jones had to decide today it would be Texas but Texas A&M is “creeping in on them”. Right now it seems that Jones is still undecided and there are people pulling him in both directions.
I expect to hear more on Jones today to get the latest on the talented East Texas safety. – (Andrew)
– D’Andre Christmas-Giles: St. Augustine (LA) DT D’Andre Christmas-Giles is someone who some thought might have committed this past weekend but he has decided to wait until NSD. Christmas-Giles is down to Texas, TCU, and LSU but this is a Longhorns-Tigers battle. As most know, Christmas-Giles was in Baton Rouge this past weekend but I confirmed that he did not visit LSU while in town. We have felt good about Christmas-Giles for awhile and continue to feel that way. If he announced his commitment last weekend it would’ve been for Texas, but him waiting until NSD doesn’t hurt Texas’ chances.
Making my decision on NSD @St. Augustine high school 12:00 Noon Wednesday ! ????
— Christmas-Giles (@_DChristmas) February 1, 2016
Of note, Christmas-Giles and fellow DT’s Jordan Elliott and Stephon Taylor are also announcing their commitments at noon on NSD. – (Andrew)
– Mark Jackson: 2016 OLB/DE Mark Jackson (Cibolo, TX) let us know that he will be announcing his commitment today at around 5 pm. Jackson visited Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma in the month of January with OU being his latest visit.
I’ve talked a few sources about this one and like a few others, I’m hearing Oklahoma is in a good spot. But, as noted above, we should know for certain sometime today. – (Super K)
– Erick Fowler: Up until very recently, I believed Erick Fowler would ultimately end up at LSU. He’s been committed to the Tigers since this past summer and grew up an LSU fan. As I mentioned yesterday, I am changing my prediction on this one. I’ve spoken to folks close to Erick and it is sounding more and more like after some family discussions and the weekend visit from coach Strong, Texas has taken a lead here. My sources did say that LSU isn’t out of this one and right now Erick is not talking to many people regarding his recruitment (which includes some folks closest to him) but what I was told makes me feel that Texas is in a good spot here. – (Super K)
– Parrish Cobb: Had a long conversation last night with a source close to Parrish Cobb. This one is very interesting. The long time Sooner commit apparently actually wants to go to Texas with his cousin (Eric Cuffee). But I’m told that the father wants his son at OU. So, my source tells me that the compromise in the end may end up being Baylor. – (Super K)
– Patrick Hudson: All last week I kept checking with sources close to Hudson to see if Patrick and his family may take a last minute trip to Texas. They did not. In my mind, without Hudson’s mother seeing Texas it would seem difficult for the Horns to flip the talented offensive lineman. However, on Friday I was told that Hudson’s mother has, in fact, already visited Texas. She apparently made the trip to Austin last summer.
The other hurdle was we’ve long been told that Hudson’s sister is headed to Baylor but a source told me that with regards to that, “nothing is set in stone”. Source close to Hudson further said, “both school (UT and Baylor) are academically top notch…can’t go wrong either way”.
I go back and forth on this one but Texas is much closer here in my mind, today, that I would’ve said a week or two ago. I’m told that the Texas staff feels good about their chances with Hudson. Andrew and I have talked about this one a few times. Based on all the information, Baylor is probably the safe bet but my gut tells me Texas by a ever so slight margin.
What really stands out me is that, when taking in all the information, it’s clear Hudson is struggling with this one. Baylor makes a lot of sense. There is a ton of familiarity there. Hudson plays in the same system he will play in at Baylor (though now that is the case at Texas as well). He’s been committed to Baylor for a long time. The struggle here makes me feel like deep down Hudson prefers Texas. Now that I feel like his mother is fine with either choice, it makes me think Texas could really win this one.
I will, however, note that Andrew tells me he still feels Hudson ends up at Baylor and again that’s probably the safest bet. But one of my many nicknames growing up was “risky risk” so I rarely take the safe bet. Either way, Texas has a stellar offensive line class coming in this year. – (Super K)
– UPDATE (12:10 pm): Most know that Texas needs some attrition to help fill the 2016 class and that happened today as UT announced that Redshirt Sophomore DB Jermaine Roberts has decided to transfer. He was redshirted his first year and missed all of 2015 due to a knee injury.
– Cilobo Steele (TX) TAMU FOX DE commit Mark Jackson will announce his final decision at 5PM today. Texas, OU, and TAMU look to be the 3 teams in it but most expect Jackson to pick the Sooners.
– Per Super K, Duncanville (TX) DT Marcel Southall has a final 3 and Texas makes the cut. He will announce on NSD.
— Super K (@SuperK_TFB) February 1, 2016
– UPDATE (12:35 PM): You’re going to have to get up early for Trinity (TX) DT Chris Daniels decision on Wednesday morning. Both Super K and I feel that Texas leads right now.
I'm changing my time of signing to 7:45 Wednesday CT
— Chris Daniels 7 (@clicclac97) February 1, 2016
– UPDATE (4:30 PM): I know most are focused on the 2016 class right now but I had two big 2017 recruits tell me that they will attend Texas’ JR Day on February 27th.
— Andrew King (@Andrew_TFB) February 1, 2016
— Andrew King (@Andrew_TFB) February 1, 2016
– UPDATE (5:15 PM): Nacogdoches (TX) S Brandon Jones and it has no surprises. Right now it looks like this one is back to a Texas-Texas A&M battle.
— Brandon Jones (@BlessedJones33) February 1, 2016