Open Post | Wednesday, February 24th (UPDATE: 12:15 PM)

– JR Day Visitor List: Texas will hold their first Jr Day for the 2017 class and they’re expecting to host 30+ recruits. – (Andrew)

2017

QB Sam Ehlinger, Westlake (TX) Texas Commit

RB Eno Benjamin, Wylie East (TX)

RB Andre Johnson, South Grande Prairie (TX)

WR Damion Miller, John Tyler (TX) Texas Commit

WR Mannie Netherly, Crosby (TX) Texas A&M Commit

WR Jeremy Singleton, Brother Martin (LA)

WR Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin (TX)

TE Major Tennison, Bullard (TX) Texas Commit

TE Chance McLeod, Victoria East (TX)

OL Grayson Reed, Cypress Creek (TX)

OL Walker Little, Episcopal (TX)

OL Matthew Huhn, John Jay (TX)

OL Tyrese Robinson, McKinney Boyd (TX) Oklahoma Commit (Robinson is now telling our guys on the OU side that he will not be visiting so we’ll have to see what happens this weekend)

OL Brenden James, Lake Travis (TX)

DE Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau (TX) Texas Commit

DE Taquon Graham, Temple (TX)

DE Alexander Duke, Bellaire (TX) Houston Commit

DE Earnest Brown, Denton Ryan (TX)

DE Bryan Jones, Madison Prep (LA)

DT Troy Porche, Houston Lamar (TX)

LB Baron Browning, Kennedale (TX)

LB Anthony Hines, Plano East (TX)

LB Mohamed Sanogo, Plano West (TX)

LB Loren Mondy, Lake Ridge (TX) Arizona State Commit

LB Kenneth Murray, Elkins (TX)

DB Jeffrey Okudah, South Grande Prairie (TX)

DB Derrick Tucker, Manvel (TX)

DB Kobe Boyce, Lake Dallas (TX)

DB Ashton Logan, Temple (TX)

DB Darrion Green, Woodrow Wilson (TX)

2018

QB Jalen Mayden, Sachse (TX)

WR Drue Jackson, Sachse (TX)

DB Isaiah Humphries, Sachse (TX)

Grayson Reed: You aren’t going to see a ton of offers from the Texas staff. They feel good about a lot of their top targets and most know by now that Charlie Strong is willing to play the long game. One of Texas top OL targets is Grayson Reed (Houston, TX). As many of you know, Grayson is related to former Longhorn player, Cedric Reed. I caught up with Grayson’s father last night to see if a commitment this weekend was possible. He said, “At this time it’s a visit…it’s the first time Grayson will get to spend some quality time with the coaches and see the University. He’s looking forward to seeing coach Mattox and coach Strong”

Reed’s father did comment on their expected commitment timeline saying, “Right now we are sticking to a commitment time frame of some time after spring ball or early summer or when Grayson feels he is truly ready to give a commitment”.

Getting a few early commits before the summer can really have a long term impact on recruiting results. It allows commits to help recruit other players through the summer at the various camps and events. And Reed having family ties to Texas fits the mold of just that kind of athlete that can passionately recruit to a program he grew up watching. – (Super K)

UPDATE (12:15 pm): La Grange (TX) RB JK Dobbins let me know that he will not be able to attend Texas’ JR Day this weekend. – (Andrew)

125 Comments

• Tom Selleck's Moustache says:

Ehlinger inside the top 100 prospects on the 247 composite! Great news! I may have asked this before but in regards to the “physical limitations” Ehlinger has, do y’all know what they are?

Also got a couple Q’s. What’s your take on the Beal news? Assuming we get Taquon Graham at some point, we’d have two stud DE’s. Would they then shut down DE recruiting except for Beal?

And what do y’all think of Major Tennison? I love the kids game. He’s enormous and faster than half the safeties in his highlight tape. Seems like he could be a menace on the field.

• Hook'em ETex says:

Major is from my wife’s alma mater. I hope to catch a couple of the games this year. We usually make it to the homecoming game and sometimes one more.

• ACreativeUsername says:

make sure you post your scouting report on here! id love to read your impression of his game rather than just looking at highlights, which can be cherry picked to look better

• Andrew King says:

Very cool! I won’t be able to check him out since I’m in DFW but I’m interested to see how you think he plays.

• Hook'em ETex says:

Damien miller is from my old HS.
          I suppose i’ll try to check him out some this year too, but we usually dont go to many of those games.

• Hook'em ETex says:

Ehlinger reminds me alot of Colt. Not the fastest, not the biggest arm, not a prototype qb frame, but has a knack for winning. He gives everything on every play and seems to find a way to extend what would be a loss of yards into a gain on alot of plays.

• Hornsup says:

I don’t think they would shut down DE recruiting if they got Graham, I hope they push more for him this weekend. He would be a possible early commit if they did. I don’t think they will shut down DE recruiting though because Carson is at 260 so he is likely to be a DT for us. And Strong loves having plenty of DLineman and OLineman

• Longhorn.Pirate says:

Been thinking the same thing about Carson. Every time I see pictures of him I think he look skinny…lol. And he’s 260lb’s. He is going to put on some serious muscle his first 2 years. I think he will be a beast inside.

• Andrew King says:

That’s the reason they won’t shut it down at that position is because could very likely move to DT.

• Andrew King says:

Ehlinger just doesn’t have elite size, arm strength, speed, etc. but you can’t hind the fact that he put up 5,000+ yards and 70+ TD’s at the 6A level as a JR. That’s getting close to Kyler Murray level.

If they have Graham and Carson. They only others I see them going after at DE are Beal and K’Lavon Chaisson from North Shore

If Major played vs better talent he’d be ranked higher.

• Hook'em ETex says:

Hook’em!
    These young men are in for a real treat this weekend! A first impression is a lasting impression. Here’s to Strong and Co. showing these guys what it means to wear burnt orange on satudays ?

• Javed Maknojia says:

Great list!
    AK or SK, do you guys think we should expect any commitment during/after Junior Day Visit?
    It is also so good to know that we are in good shape with lots of our top targets.

• Hornsup says:

Isn’t the CB from Nach, Josh Thompson coming down too?

• Hook'em ETex says:

Baron browning… That guy is a game changer. I hope he comes away impressed.

• Andrew King says:

My #1 player in the state of Texas this year.

• Hook'em ETex says:

Hard to argue that

• Hornsup says:

Yes, that guy is a freak athlete. Texas would look like LBU and DBU if they were to get him. Let alone him and Hines. That would be a scary sight. The Texas defense would be stacked in all three phases

• ftwspursfan says:

Goof to know as I live in Arlington. Is Mondy at Mansfield Lake Ridge? Is he from AZ due the ASU early commit? I will keep my eyes peeled on both these guys as I follow Kennedale and the Mansfield/Arlington schools a lot. Being a Bowie grad and my son is a soph at Mansfield HS helps.

• ftwspursfan says:

I’ll keep my eye on SGP too. Not to nitpick but there is no ‘e’ in Grand for GP. Its not the Rio Grande, hahaha!

• Andrew King says:

Oh, I honestly didn’t even know the “e” was on there. Must’ve auto-changed, thanks for the heads up!

• Andrew King says:

Yes Mondy is at Mansfield Laks Ridge. I believe his father or someone in his family went to ASU. I’m honesty not very high on him at all.

• ftwspursfan says:

Well, its something for him to get an invite and Lake Ridge did have a great run last year. I know Coach Kirk Thor pretty well from church. It will be interesting to see how these Juniors step up in their Sr year of HS.

• Longhorn.Pirate says:

a lot of quality athletes here and some we definitely need. This is where I think Strong really steps up. When we were empty of impact players and had PT ready to dish out it was “easy” to get some of the top players to come and make an impact. Utilizing this strategy we have had 2 very strong classes. With only 18 to 20 spots to fill this year the strength of player evaluation is going to be a big deal. Add in more player recruiting to get the 1’s that we have first on our board. This is where we want to be…cherry picking those that meet our schemes and game plans not just players based a star system like in the past. Going to be a beautiful weekend in the Hill Country…let’s find the next class of Longhorns!

• C_Alan_C says:

It’s interesting to me to have 30 guys here on a junior day, knowing we probably have room for only half of them. I’ve been looking forward to a time when the top guys all want to come to Texas again!

• nottherealmccoy says:

It seems like we have a ton of momentum right now with the 2017 class. Is it a realistic possibility that we could be looking at top 5 class? I know it will be a stretch because Texas looks like they will be taking a smaller class in 2017 than 2015 or 2016.

• J-Lo says:

Just gotta win baby!

• James H says:

I’m with J-Lo here, put up some W’s, like 7-10 and a good Bowl win and recruiting will take care of it’s self. Would love to see a couple of commits before summer.

• James H says:

• MarkInAustin says:

Don’t worry about class ranking. If Texas fills its needs with guys Strong really wants it will work out, as it does for Patterson, for example, and for Briles.

And no, with 18 it would not be a “top 5 class”.

Think of it in terms of beating the Wizard, Stoops, I-am-a-man, Patterson, and Briles.

Those are the great coaches in the conference and they are among the best in the nation. It goes without saying Texas will beat the Wizard in recruiting, on paper. Still, he is Purple Merlin. The others have to be dealt with in Earthly terms.

• nottherealmccoy says:

Ehh, I am going to worry about class rankings a bit. There is pretty compelling evidence that in order to win national titles, you have to recruit at an elite level. Briles and Patterson have done great with what they have, but they also haven’t really gotten very close to winning national titles yet.

I guess if our class is going to be small, we should probably be more concerned with the average player rating composite score and compare that to other schools. By that (very unofficial) metric, I think that Texas could rank very high given that we have some apparent momentum with high four star and five star players like Moses, Okudah, and Beal. Since we can be picky this year, I expect that Charlie Strong is going to stack this class with studs

• C_Alan_C says:

Worry is a strong word, and unnecessary as long as we’re pulling in Top 15 or Top 20 classes. Star ratings are a subjective and incomplete method for rating an incoming class. As long as we have a proven talent evaluator at the helm (which we do) you can be confident we’re bringing in our share of NFL talent.
          Also, the correlation between “winning at a high level” and “recruiting class rank” is a loose one, and not direct. Programs pulling in highly ranked recruiting classes also tend to have higher paid staffs, better facilities, etc. Elite (Top 5) talent is not a sine qua non for winning titles, but very good players well coached.

• nottherealmccoy says:

2006- Florida
            2005- Texas
            2004- USC
            2003- LSU/USC
            2002- Ohio State
            2001- Miami

These schools did not recruit at a top 15-20 level. They all recruited at an elite, top 5 type level. Teams that do not recruit at this high of a level do not often get close to winning national championships. Oregon has gotten to the national title game twice with top 15-20 talent, and Mizzou has gotten close twice as well without top 5 talent over this time period. Otherwise, national champions and their opponents have all recruited at elite levels. I would say that based off of this list, recruiting an elite level is pretty much a necessary (but not sufficient) condition for consistently competing for national titles.

Recruiting at a top 15-20 level might have us in competition for conference titles most years like Baylor or TCU for instance, but if we expect to consistently compete at the highest level (i.e. higher than the level at which TCU and BU currently compete), we will have to consistently bring in Alabama/OSU/FSU levels of talent.

• HornsRollin says:

Didn’t Houston just beat FSU and their top 5 classes badly?

• nottherealmccoy says:

Has Houston competed for a national title lately?

Also, if you re-read my comment you will notice that I said recruiting at an elite level is a necessary but not sufficient condition for winning titles. Obviously, teams with elite recruits won’t win every game.

• HornsRollin says:

Just saying even the elites can lose to the non-elites. That’s why the play the game!

• nottherealmccoy says:

Yes, but non-elites don’t win national titles. We want to win national titles. Therefore, it is incredibly important for us to recruit at an elite level.

• Andrew King says:

Was waiting for someone to post a stat like this. You can 100% play at a very high level with the best recruits, but as that list shows that those are schools that land a top 5 class in the country. Recruiting rankings miss on some guys all the time but the people that say landing a top 5 class doesn’t improve your chance to win a national title are kidding themselves.

• Spoetzl says:

Just to clarify the class ranking:winning relationship, there’s a very strong correlation, but no proof of causation. As you mention, a number of other factors contribute and are often shared by the same teams that recruit well.

• nottherealmccoy says:

Of course it is not the sole causal factor, but it does have a lot of causation. Intuitively, having better players should lead to a football team winning more games. Furthermore, it can be argued that highly paid staffs and top facilities are mechanisms used to bring in talent as opposed to inputs that have causal affect on the quality of the football once the players are recruited (I think this argument works a lot better for facilities than assistant coaches, for the record).

Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, and Les Miles aren’t exactly renowned tacticians but they all have coached a team on that list. It is pretty fair to say that their teams won championships due to the fact that they had better players than their opponents, although I do think Malzahn deserves a lot of credit for the 2010 Auburn title.

In sum, recruiting isn’t the sole factor for determining titles, but it would be foolish to argue that it doesn’t have a causal impact on performance.

• Spoetzl says:

Not being the sole and determining factor is the difference between correlation and causation, something that researchers and new outlets confuse or disregard frequently. We’re saying the same thing: recruiting rankings count. I was just nit-picking the correct terminology and ideas behind them: the idea of “causation” is very different from that of “correlation”. Recruiting rankings are not causative and establishing the amount of correlation, while it is significant, is difficult.

• nottherealmccoy says:

That’s not quite correct. Causation simply means that holding all else equal, a change in one variable has an effect on another variable. It is possible for more than one independent variable to have a causal effect on a dependent variable.

In this case I am claiming that if all else is equal, increasing our recruiting class rank will improve the quality of our football team. Now, this experiment is difficult to test because it is hard to isolate the effect of a change in recruiting rankings due to the fact they are usually accompanied with other changes (think Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss). That being said, it would be foolish to think that we would observe no effect on the quality of our football team IF we could hold everything constant while simultaneously changing the quality of our recruits. However, by saying that recruiting does not have a causal effect you are essentially saying that if we held all constant (same coaches, same facilities, etc.) but recruited better we should still expect for the quality of the football team to be the same. I seriously doubt that this would be the case.

• C_Alan_C says:

My point was that there’s no need to worry about Charlie bringing in the requisite talent. If we only take 18 next year, but fill positions of need with talented, athletic football players (like we’ve done for two years running), who cares if the ranking services ding us for having a small class? Our last two classes were barely Top 10. Is anyone worried that they are not talented enough to win a title in the next couple years?

• Tom Selleck's Moustache says:

I checked 247 and the only times a class with 20 people or less has been top 5 since 2010 is FSU (twice, both at 20 prospects). One of those classes had four 5* players and the other had 5. So probably not

• Andrew King says:

I wouldn’t make a Top 5 prediction this early but if Texas wins 8+ games I have no doubt they can land another class that is #1 in the Big 12.

Also, I still think there is a chance Texas can take closer to 25 guys if more attrition comes, long way until we know for sure though.

• Spoetzl says:

With the recent defections, we’re currently eligible to take 16 next year. You see another nine lost to attrition? We aren’t talking about bench-warmers at that point. That would mean a lot of strong players gone. Where do you see that coming from (players/positions)?

• Andrew King says:

When the 2016 class enrolls there will be 13 or 14 WR’s on campus. I could see plenty from that position. Not saying they get to 25, but it could be closer

• Danny C says:

Deiontae Watts isn’t coming? He just got an offer and his teammate Hines will be there.

• Andrew King says:

He will not be there. He has had the TAMU JR Day on Sunday set for awhile now and can’t make both trips.

• colt1317 says:

Pipe dreaming here early in 2016 because that’s the best time to do it, but let’s say the guys pull out a 9 win regular season, and make it 10 with the bowl game showing great improvement as the season goes on. That then allows us to land Okudah, Browning, Hines, and Wilson. Those guys paired up with the 2016 class could make, down the line, one of the best defenses at Texas ever? Again, I know, just a pipe dream, but it’s dream season right now.

• Hornsup says:

I definitely think they can win 8 games with a 9th being the bowl. But idk about landing Okudah or Wilson. I think both are heading out of state. But landing Browning and Hines, with bringing in Tucker at Safety and Carson moving to DT. If they land another DE like Graham and maybe Levi Jones, they would have the parts for one of the best defenses in a long time.

• colt1317 says:

I agree 100% with everything you said, but a guy can hope right?

• ACreativeUsername says:

you can, and it’s encouraged here

• ftwspursfan says:

Yes, we have a lot of hope here but we tamp down the 10-11 win dreams for next year. We try to live in some reality here!

• ftwspursfan says:

Now 2017, if 2016 goes like we think it will, LOOK OUT WORLD!!

• colt1317 says:

I don’t think anyone has expectations of 10 wins or more next year, and if they do they need to get their head checked. However, it’s not unreasonable to dream it. Teams at the top are losing a lot of talent, and ours is just getting more experienced. Obviously 2017 is where that should really play out on the field, but given the right set of circumstances, such as getting BU and TCU both in Austin, and the right set of breaks, unlike this past year, and a surprise season isn’t out of the realm of possibility. For me though, wins aren’t a hugely important factor this year because the schedule is difficult, and could easily be another disaster in the W-L column, but rather just seeing if the team is visibly improving.

• MarkInAustin says:

I see the team, with a merely average QB, as better than 6, equal to 2, and worse than 4 of its opponents. I see it as clearly better than 8 with a good QB, and equal to one. So when the coaching staff was reported here to have predicted 10 wins I thought they must know something about the QB that we do not.

• colt1317 says:

I completely forgot that they said the staff sees 10 wins as a possibility. Honestly the thing that worries me the most is who is our PK going to be? Is Nick Jordan going to play this year? If we don’t have a kicker that could be catastrophic to the on-field success this year. I’m not overly worried about qb. I think the simplified offense will make whoever runs it successful, and Stidham proved that a true freshman can go out and run it competently.

• Spoetzl says:

Fort Worth Nolan Catholic kicker Jon Coppens (16th ranked K nationally in 2015) walked-on at Texas (going to McCombs SoB) last year and made the squad. Freshman Evan Moore is also on the roster. Luis Landron will try to walk-on again. He didn’t make it last year, but his heart is still in it. He’s the one who posted the video on several Texas boards to try to build some momentum and curry some favor.

• colt1317 says:

Thanks man! That clearly proves that your fandom far exceeds mine.

• Spoetzl says:

Nah, just more free time. 😉

I had a similar question a few weeks ago, so I did the research then and just copied and pasted my previous info.

• ftwspursfan says:

I’m with ya Colt & Mark said it well too. Improvement is the key & 8 wins is doable. Could they shock us with 9 plus and a bowl win? Yeah & we’d all love it! This place sits well between BON & BC and its going to be a great ride watching Charlie succeed at Texas!

• Hornsup says:

Yes, deep down I’m hoping we get Odukah and Tucker or even Grant Delpit. Kary Vincent at CB. Marvin Wilson. Graham and Chaisson.

• Hornsup says:

And of course Browning, Hines, and Levi Jones

• Andrew King says:

Lets just say the talent level will be much higher than when Strong first arrived at Texas.

• Turftoe says:

I read somewhere that Dobbins is a OU lean. Is that because he has concerns about the Texas Program, or the Texas depth chart?

• Andrew King says:

He’s not leaning anywhere right now. It will likely be a Texas-OU battle but OU is selling the chance of more early playing time that Texas can’t.

• Turftoe says:

Thanks!

• CP-HookEm says:

Can Charlie Strong and co. use it to an advantage? For example, if he has aspirations to go pro, they can use it as for preventing wear and tear.

• Andrew King says:

Dobbins grew up a Texas fan, so they’ll use that to their advantage.

• Eric Noren says:

I’m curious why you say OU has an advantage in offering early playing time. Mixon and Perrine are Fr and Soph (unless of course you think justice might actually be served for the former).

• Spoetzl says:

Perine’s almost certain to declare for the draft after his jr. season and Mixon… Well, OU won’t likely want to deal with all the bad press and the NFL league office would probably like to blacklist him if they could (especially after the soon-to-be released video comes out), but some pro team will give him a shot mid-to-late in the draft (Rd 5-6?).

OU provides a really clear path to playing time for a 2017 RB commit.

• Andrew King says:

Perine will be a JR this year and most expect him to leave early, Mixon will be a RS sophomore and some think there is a shot he could leave early. That would open everything up for a guy like Dobbins to play early. OU just needs one to leave to really sell the PT since Texas will still have Foreman and Warren.

Texas needs to sell him on being used all over the field. And that there isn’t a RB like him at Texas right now (which is true).

• Turftoe says:

If the Mixon thing blows up and OU are pressured into removing him from the team + Perine leaves, there would be a huge gap to fill at OU.

• Battlestar says:

Plus at Zero U you can punch women and stay on the team

• Spoetzl says:

Totally off-topic except that it pertains to Texas football. I happened on a site called “Winsipedia” that has some good stats and a great team comparison tool. Just a good bookmark in case anyone’s interested.

• MarkInAustin says:

Thanks.

• Bill says:

Thanks Spoetzl. What are the most important categories to you guys in ranking where a program stands?

For me # 1 is National Championships … nothing else is as important to me though I can see people making a case for winning % or total wins or conference championships or Bowl appearances, things like that. But nothing is as satisfying as winning the NC.

What do you guys think?

• Spoetzl says:

Head-to-head records tops my list since some schools who considered themselves our rivals haven’t sniffed a NC in the past 75 years. 😛

Funny thing I noticed: we need Vanderbilt on the schedule. They hold a massive 3-8-1 edge over Texas!?!?!

A few other thoughts…

We need a win streak vs. KSU (7-9) and pick a couple W’s vs WVU (it’s early, 2-3). They’re the only Big XII teams against whom we have a losing record.

I had forgotten (intentionally?) our history against ND is soooo bad. They’re really the only team that’s had our number. Can’t say the same for USC (1-4) since we won the one that really counts.

We’re 189-91-9 vs. the SEC (even with Vandy inexplicably dogging us!). Strictly for comparison’s sake, A&M is 82-100-6. lol We’ve won more games against the SEC than they’ve played against the SEC. Guess it’s all those bowl games they missed…

• colt1317 says:

How about we keep throwing BYU on the schedule since they have a massive 4-1 advantage over us. On second thought, I’m not sure I could stomach anymore of those games.

• Tom Selleck's Moustache says:

Taysom HIll is back again for them this year. I now believe will be there forever haunting my dreams.

• ftwspursfan says:

I love being 2-0-1 vs the Gators but we need to play them. 1940 was 5 yrs before my father was born and I just turned 50! I know, we should have played them in ’09..Still as miffed at Gideon as I am of Ginobili fouling Dirk in Game 7 of 2006 playoffs.

• nottherealmccoy says:

IMO it is really impossible to say. The selection of national champions has been such a crapshoot throughout the history of college football that it would be a little unfair to base rankings solely on NCs. However, it is really difficult and extremely subjective to determine the amount of weight we should assign to conference titles, win percentage, and other stats that are good signals of program strength.

• colt1317 says:

Should use this in recruiting. Really cool site. Thanks Spoetzl

• colt1317 says:

Should use this in recruiting. Cool site. Thanks Spoetzl

• TexasEx14 says:

Just looking through the 247 national composite, it doesn’t look like the state of Texas has too many elite corners this year. Definitely some elite safeties, but don’t see too many true corners. Who are some Texas HS corners that you could see rising in the ranks throughout the recruiting process? Any particularly interested in Texas?

• Spoetzl says:

From Andrew on a similar question I asked a week or so ago:

“I don’t have a list right now but just a few names off the top of my
      head are Kary Vincent, Matt Hankins, Ashton Preston,Chevin Calloway. K
      has watched all those DB’s film and there are lot of guys going under
      the radar who are starting to blow up. Like Justin Broiles from
      Oklahoma, really like his game.”

• Andrew King says:

As Spoetzl said, there are some guys out there. After Jeffrey Okudah and Derrick Tucker there aren’t many elite DB’s but that doesn’t mean there aren’t sole very solid DB’s out there.

• fear the beard says:

a bit off topic, but do you guys have any idea how much influence Sterlin or Bedford have in the position coaching hires? Did Gilbert have any say on RB or WR coach, or is that strictly on Strong?

• Spoetzl says:

From my understanding, while Strong has the final say on anything, he turned over the keys to the offense to Gilbert, including the assistant hires.

• Andrew King says:

At the end of the day Coach Strong makes those hires but I’m sure Gilbert had some input on them.

• beemshake says:

Bummer about Dobbins. An indication of waning interest, or just a hard conflict?

• Andrew King says:

I don’t think he has a way down there, but he wanted to come. But I spoke to him last night he loves Coach Johnson, I’ll have something on that likely tomorrow or Friday.

• Paul says:

If the Big 12 were looking to expand, what are the chances they would look to Arizona or Arizona State? Not too far geographically and for us it opens up another hot bed for recruiting, and then they could say the same thing for our state?

• Andrew King says:

Don’t think either UA or ASU are looking to leave the Pac-12.

• Bill says:

Texas grad living in Arizona not far from ASU … 1) both of those schools would seem highly unlikely to want to leave the Pac-12 for the Big 12.

2) ” … opens up another hot bed for recruiting” … there are usually a few high quality recruits worthy of a Texas offer (maybe 3-5 in a normal year) but there are typically more quality players in pockets of Houston or the Metroplex than in the entire state of Arizona.

• Bill says:

Thought I’d double check this just in case things have changed, but like I thought there are a few excellent recruits, then depth falls off quickly in Arizona high school football.

2016 class – five 4* players, 17 3* players, then the two-stars …
        2015 class – two 4* players (though one, Christian Kirk, is REALLY good), 23 3*
        2014 class – one 5* (Kyle Allen), six 4*s, 19 3*s

All rankings from 247.

• ftwspursfan says:

Chances are better that Texas, OU, Okie Lite and TTU eventually go west to form Pac16 than for AZ schools to come over here.

• colt1317 says:

I’d love a move to the pac. Honestly I’m tired of the Big 12, and would rather avoid all SEC non-sense. Plus there’s a large contingent of Texas alums in Pac territory, and opening California recruiting would be great

• Spencer Caffrey says:

Roughly guessing we end up offering about 10-12 of the guys listed above at some point.

Addressing what was discussed below, my prediction for this season is 7 wins plus bowl. And I’d be thrilled with that, assuming it was attached to clear, undeniable improvement.

As to another topic, I still think the Big 12 is salvageable. I think TCU and Baylor’s success has really helped that. I do think we need to add a couple teams and adopt a championship game, and then we’ll be right up there with any of them.

• Hornsup says:

I agree that the Big 12 is salvageable. We definitely need to add two teams and a bowl game. BYU being the obvious pick and then maybe a Memphis. I think we need a conference network though. Don’t know how they incorporate the money we get already but we need one. With a good Texas and Oklahoma, topped with a good TCU and Baylor, that would be as good as most conferences who all tend to be top heavy. Add that with probably the best basketball top to bottom and the conference has good things going for it.

• jhopkins81 says: