A quick personal note: Please keep Andrew’s family in your thoughts and prayers. He had a passing in the family.
– Tom Herman Aint Messing Around: Spoke to a source regarding coach Tom Herman’s demeanor in practice this week and it sounds like any honeymoon period is over. I’m told Herman has been extremely involved in the coaching and extremely intense this week. To put it very mildly, he’s been challenging the manhood of the players and, again to put it mildly, demanding that they step up to that challenge…sometimes make such ‘requests’ with some colorful language.
The source said that one player actually had the guts to miss a class…that didn’t go well. “After what happened to him, the players were pretty much like, we’re never missing a class”. – (Super K)
– DeMarvion Overshown: At 6’4 205 lbs and an elite ability to run and change direction, 2018 LB/DB DeMarvion Overshown (Arp, TX) is quickly becoming one of the most sought after defensive players in the state of Texas. He picked up offers from Oklahoma, Baylor, UCLA and Alabama earlier this week.
Texas identified Overshown early. In fact the current staff has been interested in Overshown since their time at Houston and one of their first orders of business when they got to Texas was to offer him.
I spoke with Overshown earlier this week and as I mentioned…
— Super K (@SuperK_TFB) February 9, 2017
Overshown was not shy about saying that Texas was his dream school growing up. Despite all the recent offers, the only visit he seemed certain of taking was the visit to Texas.
Overshown said he’d like to take his time with the process but something tells me that with a big weekend those plans could change. – (Super K)
– Leon O’Neal: In case you missed it, Texas will host one of the nations top safeties for their jr day later this month in Lean O’Neal (Houston, TX)…
— Super K (@SuperK_TFB) February 9, 2017
O’Neal has not released a list of early leaders but I get the sense that TAMU, Texas and Oklahoma are the three biggest threats for him at the moment. – (Super K)
– Gemon Green: 2018 CB, Gemon Green (Desoto, TX) let me know that Texas has recently been in touch and that he will visit Texas for their jr day at the end of the month.
Green holds early offers from TCU, Oklahoma State and others and is a candidate to pick up a Texas offer when he makes it to campus later this month.
– Casey Thompson and 2018 Quarterback Recruiting: As we mentioned earlier in the week, 2018 QB Casey Thompson (Moore, OK) son of former Sooner QB, Charles Thompson, let our Brandon Drumm know that he will take an unofficial visit to Texas later this month. Thompson was offered by Texas back in January and has a previous relationship with coach Tim Beck as Beck recruited Thompson when Beck was at Ohio State.
However, here is what I’ve been told. The 2018 QB offers are all non-committable offers so although I have been told Thompson is high on Texas, I wouldn’t expect a commitment to come this month. I’m told the reason the QB offers are non-committable is simply due to the fact the staff would like to see, in person, offered QBs throw.
Our Brandon Drumm raves about Thompson so I have little doubt the Texas staff will be thoroughly impressed with him once they see him live. I’m also told that the biggest threats to Texas for Thompson are Oregon and Miami. – (Super K)
– Justin Watkins | FSU Commit: Last month Texas offered, Justin Watkins (Ocala, FL) who happens to be one of the top athletes in the country and a Florida State commit. Seemed like just another offer to a big time national guy that wouldn’t materialize into much. That may have been an incorrect assumption.
In talking to sources on the Texas side, I’m told that there is a sense on the staff that Texas is a real player for Watkins. In fact I’m told the entire staff is recruiting Watkins.
I asked Watkins if he plans on visiting Texas and he said, “I am working on that now. I’m trying to get up to Texas as soon as possible”.
Tough to know how real Texas’ chances are here at this point but the fact that Watkins is so anxious to visit is telling. – (Super K)
– Keontay Ingram: Earlier this week I mentioned that 2018 RB, Keontay Ingram will visit Texas at the end of this month for the jr day. Ingram is another 2018 player to keep an eye on. Like Overshown, he is a small town east Texas athlete who told me that Texas was a dream school for him growing up.
I spoke with Ingram over the phone last week and he talked at length about coach Drayton and the job he’s done developing guys like Ezekiel Elliot. Again, this one feels like a regional battle between Texas, OU, TCU and TAMU battle. – (Super K)