– Mikey Grandy: Texas needs offensive linemen. They have just made a new JUCO offensive line offer to Mikey Grandy (College of San Mateo). Grandy is a December graduate.
— Mikey Grandy (@mikey_grandy) November 27, 2017
Our resident OL expert and former college OT, JY did a quick review of his film and said the following:
Really really nice player. Good thickness, nice length. Nasty. Good hands. He finds work and plays to the whistle. Good offer. He’s a plug and play. He’s better than Kerstetter already. He’s a tackle but think he’s powerful enough to be a guard. Reminds me a lot of Connor Lanfear for Texas A&M.
Texas recently offered Kansas State HS OT commit, Kaitori Leveston but JY feels Leveston is a ways a way from being able to contribute so this is a refreshing offer.
Grandy tells us that he plans to visit Texas on December 15th. We imagine Texas wants to see how things shake out with top JUCO OT, Badara Traore. – (Super K & JY)
– Joseph Ossai: Texas will see one of their top defensive targets on Wednesday in Oak Ridge (TX) DE Joseph Ossai.
Right now a lot of people are asking about where things stand with Ossai now that Texas A&M has fired Kevin Sumlin. Based on what we’ve heard from people close to Ossai, it sounds like if the new HC at Texas A&M retains DL coach Terry Price, Ossai is still likely to sign with the Aggies.
Now if Price isn’t retained, all bets are off and Texas could swoop in and land the 4-star DE.
The instability at TAMU is the big reason Texas has a shot here. So we’ll see what happens with Terry Price. – (Andrew)
– Brennan Eagles Locked: Texas coaches will be in Houston on Wednesday to see Alief Taylor (TX) WR commit Brennan Eagles.
Eagles told me Texas is the only school he will have in for a home visit. He’s set to enroll early and will sign during the early signing period that begins on December 20th. His senior season was cut short due to an ankle injury, but he plans to play in the Army All-American Bowl on January 6th in San Antonio. – (Andrew)
– Badara Traore: A top offensive line target for Texas right now is ASA Academy OT, Badara Traore. He’s pretty much down to Texas and LSU and most people on LSU’s side feel confident about their chances to land him. Though Texas isn’t going down easy. Traore told me that Texas OL coach Derek Warehime is expected to visit him today in Arizona. ASA is playing a bowl game down there so it sounds like Warehime will get to see him in action.
I would agree that LSU likely leads right now but Texas is working hard and is really selling him on the early playing time now that Connor Williams is officially headed to the NFL. – (Andrew)
– Nik Bonitto: Texas is still working hard to get Joseph Ossai but as many of you know, Texas hosted FL OLB, Nik Bonitto on a official visit earlier this season.
Bonitto tells me that he expects Texas to come watch him practice today or tomorrow. Bonitto’s team is still in the playoffs.
I am also told that Texas will do a in-home visit with Bonitto next week.
Bonitto isn’t as a violent as Ossai but he looks like a guy who can do just about anything you ask of him. He looks very comfortable in space. Looks very fluid on film. He gets downhill quickly (Orlando loves that) and isn’t just quick of the edge but he can bend and even has a more varied in his pass rush technique. – (Super K)