– Keondre Coburn: Spoke with a couple sources regarding Keondre Coburn’s recent visit to Texas. As you know, there has been some concern about Coburn starting to look at schools like TCU and TAMU more and more. Here are the notes I was able to pick up…
– Coburn’s tentative plan is to still sign in February however a source close to Coburn tells me that he is a little more unsure about that plan now. In other words, he’s more locked in to Texas. I would wager that he ends up waiting till February, however, if for no other reason than he’s the only really NG that Texas has pursued so I suspect he knows he has the leverage to wait.
– I am told that Coburn will not take any visits until after the dead period. The two main schools he’s looking at outside of Texas are TAMU and TCU. TCU in particular has done a really good job of recruiting him and it sounds like he has a close relationship with TCU dline coach, Zarnell Fitch.
– Coburn has previous ties to the Fisher from FSU. He’s close to Marvin Wilson as well.
– I am told that Coburn had a great time on the visit this weekend but no one could definitely say whether he’d sign on the 20th which again, tells me he likely won’t.
– Having said all of the above, there is still a lot of confidence that whether it’s this month or February, Coburn will end up signing with Texas. The sense I get from those around him is that he simply feels he pulled the trigger too early and didn’t get to take his trips.
– Ayodele Adeoye: Texas LB commit, Ayodele Adeoye (IMG Academy) took his official visit to Texas this past weekend. When I spoke with Ayodele before his visit he seemed to be torn between Texas and Oklahoma. Working in Texas’ favor is Todd Orlando’s defense and the fact that, with the imminent departure of Malik Jefferson, there will be an open linebacker spot. Working in Oklahoma’s favor is on-field success and Ayodele’s connection with coach Lincoln Riley.
I checked with Ayodele after the visit and he tells me he is no longer torn. According to Ayodele he is now solid to Texas.
Another key note, I am also told that Texas made a strong impression on Ayodele’s mother who, prior to the visit, seemed to be in Oklahoma’s corner.
– Junior Angilau: Texas landed a recent commitment from East (UT) 4-star OT Junior Angilau. There has been talk about him possibly taking a two-year LDS Mission and not enrolling until 2020.
We reached out to Junior Angilau’s head coach about the rumor that Junior would be taking a 2 year Mormon mission trip. His coach told us it is something that could happen.
– JUCO Offensive Lineman: Even with the addition of Angilau, Texas is still shopping for one or two JUCO offensive linemen. I am told Texas hasn’t quite made a decision on whether they will take one or two.
Recent JUCO OL offer, Mike Grandy (College of San Mateo) tells me he will visit Texas this weekend. He did however note that he is considering splitting his weekend to try to take a visit to a second school, “not sure yet. Still trying to figure that out with my coach”.
Texas also recently offered JUCO OL and Arkansas commit, Noah Banks along with Levon Livingston. I am told that both Banks and Livingston are expected to visit Texas this weekend but I am working to confirm with them.
Also, as I previously mentioned, Trevor Elbert visiting may still be a possibility. His coach let me know last night that Texas, “may still offer but on how hold for now”.
Texas appears to be trying to make sure they come away with at least one JUCO OL in the fold after this weekend.