– Curtis Dunlap: Earlier this week Texas stopped by IMG to see recent Florida decommit, Curtis Dunlap. They also saw Noah Cain and a host of others.
I spoke with someone over at IMG about Dunlap to get sense of what the staff thinks about him. Here’s what I was told:
“Starting on our o line for two and a half seasons. Works hard as f*** in school. I can’t say enough great things about him. He’s got real potential on the interior line. Also very mature…He’s a quiet leader for sure. Inspires a lot of confidence in his teammates.”
Dunlap will take a official visit to Minnesota this weekend. He is deciding on which visit he will take for his final weekend and Texas is under consideration but without an offer it will be tough to get him to Austin. That could change. – (Super K)
– More Ojomo: A new offer has been extended by the staff to Katy (TX) DT Moro Ojomo.
— Moro Ojomo™ (@ojomooo) December 7, 2017
This is a guy they’ve been evaluating for awhile now. At 6’3 275, Ojomo has good size at DT and will definitely add some more weight.
Ojomo visited Texas in November unofficially. He hasn’t set up his Texas official visit yet but told me he definitely will. Also added that he’s “grateful and excited” about the offer.
Katy is making another deep playoff run so he might wait until after the season to take his official visits. TCU and Oklahoma State look like Texas’ biggest competition for him right now. – (Andrew)
– Tanner McKee: Last week, Texas OC Tim Beck made it out West to see some QB’s. Obviously the most important one to Texas right now is commit Cam Rising, but he also stopped by to see Centennial (CA) QB Tanner McKee. I caught up with McKee recently to see how the visit went and get a sense of where his recruitment is right now.
In terms of the visit with Beck, McKee told me “It was great, I really enjoyed it. We talked about a lot of things. Mostly about the program, the things they want to fix for next year, and how I would fit into their offense. They’re definitely moving in the right direction.”
Most know that McKee is a borderline 5-star QB, but his situation is much different than most superstar QB’s. The majority of QB recruits now of days enroll early to get a head start and increase the chances of early playing time. McKee is doing the opposite, he’s taking a two-year Mormon mission after he graduates HS which pretty much makes him a class of 2020 recruit. So he doesn’t have to make a decision this year, or sign on NSD.
The biggest news I took from my talk with McKee is that he does plan to sign on NSD. If he does his two-year mission, his NLI with whichever school he signs with would technically be voided, but most guys who have gone down this route have stuck with their choice.
McKee has taken official visits to Texas, Washington, Alabama, and Texas A&M. He said his last one will be to Stanford, in January. I still get the feeling that the Cardinal are the favorite here and them getting the last OV only strengthens those feelings. You might’ve noticed that BYU isn’t getting an official visit. McKee told me that is because he’s been there so many times.
Texas is still after the talented QB, but he seems Stanford bound as of today. – (Andrew)
– Keondre Coburn: While Keondre Coburn has been committed to Texas for a while but it hasn’t stopped schools from TCU and TAMU from recruiting him. The difference these days is that Coburn may actually listening.
— Keondre Coburn⁹⁹ (@KeondreCoburn99) December 7, 2017
I was told recently told that Coburn doesn’t plan to sign during the early signing period in December. I’m told that this is due in part to the fact that he would like to take some visits. Texas A&M and TCU are the two schools recruiting him very hard right now. He will visit Texas this weekend for his official visit and will be around the staff and a large group of Texas commits. I’d expect the commits and the Texas staff to push to lock Coburn up for good this weekend.
— Keondre Coburn⁹⁹ (@KeondreCoburn99) December 7, 2017
I will also add that according to a source close to the situation, Coburn may be feeling as though he may have committed too early. I should also add that Coburns family isn’t originally from Texas. They are originally from California so I’d imagine Keondre didn’t necessarily grow up a massive Texas fan.
Again, this weekend could put things to rest but as of now we are told that Coburn still wants to explore his options. – (Andrew)
– Am told by sources that Texas DC Todd Orlando is telling people close to him that he has no intention of leaving Texas anytime soon. The context of my conversation with the source was specifically related to the SMU job opening. At least according to this source, while SMU may have some interest in Orlando, he’s telling people close to him that he doesn’t plan on leaving. – (Super K)
– Orlando was in Florida on Wednesday doing a in-home with 2018 FL OLB Nik Bonitto. The push is on to land Bonitto. I spoke with Bonitto last night and will have some notes from that conversation. Bonitto will OV to Oklahoma next weekend. His decision will come in early January.
— TFB Texas (@TFB_Texas) December 8, 2017
– Texas has a bit of an uphill battle to win over recent OL offer and KSU commit, Kaitori Leveston (Waco, TX). However, Texas will do a in-home visit with Leveston next week.
– We have reconfirmed that 2018 FSU LB commit, Amari Gainer (Tallahasee, FL) will take a official visit to Texas this weekend. Gainer is very close to the son of Jimbo Fisher so it’ll be interesting to see how Fisher’s departure affects, if at all, his recruitment. Gainer is a talented prospect who has had Texas in the list of his top schools for quite some time.
– JUCO OT Bradara Traore has announced his commitment to LSU after an in-Home visit from the Texas staff earlier this week.
— BRISCO🏟 (@BadaraTraore74) December 7, 2017
Keep an eye on former Aggie, Trevor Elbert who is now at Ventura College. He will be in Austin next weekend for a official visit to Texas. – (Will & Super K)