– This weekend Texas hosted Elite 2019 Safety, Kenyatta Watson II out of Grayson High School, Loganville (GA). As most of you are aware, Watson is scheduled to make his commitment announcement on Tuesday, May 1st, so it was important for Tom Herman and his staff to check off all the right boxes on this trip.
— Kenyatta Watson II (@ballhawk36) April 28, 2018
I was able to briefly catch up with his father, Kenyatta Watson, and by all indications, the Horns staff did everything they could to check off all of those boxes.
The family had just returned home at the time I was able to connect with the Mr. Watson, and I asked him how the overall experience was and he replied, “Awesome, genuine experience”. He then went on to say, “Just the genuine conversations with Coach Herman and Coach Washington really stood out.”
As far as how the rest of the trip went, Kenyatta offered “I wanted to make sure that I got all my questions answered and I did. The thing I liked most was the transparency!”
With his son’s commitment looming, and Texas having the final visit, a parent has many concerns and it appears that Texas certainly took the time to address those concerns in depth. Will it be enough? We will all find out Tuesday! – (Charlie)
– Noa Pola-Gates: As I mentioned last week, Texas went by to see Noa in Arizona, and extended him an offer and the excitement is palpable.
— SlickBack++•🇦🇸 (@NoaPola) April 27, 2018
Having relatives close by is a big deal for him and his family, and he has plenty of family in Austin and around Texas.
While Alabama is the leader in this race, coach Naivar’s visit went so well that Texas has jumped straight into the top of the mix. With a successful visit to Austin, Texas could end up grabbing the services of the dynamic DB. – (Will)
– He-he-hey y’all 😅. This is a bit late, but don’t worry, we didn’t forget about it.
Last week during the Spring Game we had a shh sighting.
— Bʀʏᴀɴ Cᴀʀʀɪɴɢᴛᴏɴ🤫 (@BCarringtonUT) April 22, 2018
Same old rule of we can’t spoil anything, but we can give you a hint that this guy is coming from out West and brings a new dynamic to an important position. That’s all your getting!
P.S. I know a lot of people are wondering what exactly consists as a “Shh Sighting,” with how quickly Carrington’s “shh” emoji has caught on throughout the college football recruiting world. When is it Texas getting a silent commit vs something else?
Here are a few guidelines for to recognize the silent commit tweet:
– It’s just the “shh” emoji in the tweet. Not a picture or retweet or anything else.
– It comes from Carrington.
– There is no other context to the “shh.” For example, he’s not talking about the new stadium design or whatnot.
– Usually, we’ll have a post up pretty soon afterwards confirming the “Shh Sighting.” – (Will)
– Texas recently offered Saguaro (AZ) 5-star ’20 CB Kelee Ringo.
— Kelee Ringo (@KeleeRingo) April 25, 2018
Texas is continuing to try and make a national presence, especially on the West Coast. Saguaro is one of the top schools on the West Coast and Ringo is a guy who could end up being a top five player in the nation in 2020 when it’s all said and done. He plays HS football in Arizona but he’s originally from Tacoma, Washington.
I talked to Ringo and he was very excited about his Texas offer. In fact he has a Texas connection, as former Texas All-American Defensive Back and former 5th overall pick in the 1997 NFL draft Bryant Westbrook is Ringo’s DB coach. When I asked him about his offer he told me “Football in Texas is not just football, it’s a religion! And I’m absolutely honored to receive the offer. The University of Texas is a very prestigious university, and they have a long history of great defensive backs. Guys like Earl Thomas, Aaron Ross, and Michael Huff just to name a few. It’s also the alma mater of my favorite DB coach Bryant Westbrook!!”
When talking about Westbrook, Ringo said “He talks about Texas all the time! I’ve learned so much from him already. I know he’s going to take me to the next level! And he’s my main source of knowledge about Texas right now.”
Ringo also told me he plans to take a Texas visit sometime in the near future. – (Andrew)
– 5-Star DT Ishmael Sopsher from Louisiana dominated today. He told me he’ll be visiting Texas in late May.
– 4-Star OC Branson Bragg did not lose a rep and even went against Sopsher multiple times. That dude is fundamentally sound and smart. He will be in Austin in two weeks for the shot put and discus State. I feel good about Texas here.
– NaNa Osafo-Mensah told me what he likes about Texas is it’s proximity to home and his friends while for Notre Dame, he likes Notre Dame due to the diversity of players that come from all over the world. He’ll be official visiting next week and if Texas nails it, then when he announces his commitment, we feel good about Texas’ chances.
– DE Trace Ford was insane. He’s explosive.
– Stacey Wilkins looked okay. He needs to put on some weight and he’ll be good. But I wouldn’t count on him going to Texas.
We will have more notes from the event throughout the week! – (Will)
– Garrett Wilson: As we have been expecting, Elite 2019 Wide Receiver Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State. He made the news official last night.
I sacrificed time, fun, and relationships to be in this position. Recruiting is a grueling process, but god showed me the way. I got unfinished business in the 614… I’m coming home. #TTWFO pic.twitter.com/W9xRyot1Bs
— Garrett Wilson (@GarrettWilson_V) April 30, 2018
Wilson visited Austin for the spring game weekend, but the Horns were not able to make a large enough impact to sway him from Ohio State. While nothing is certain until the papers are signed, we would expect Texas to let this one breathe a bit before re-engaging. That is not to say Texas has given up, but we would expect them to focus on actively pursuing other options at this point and perhaps revisit this recruitment a bit down the line.