2019 4-STAR LB RIAN DAVIS | COMMITMENT TIMELINE
– Super K
2019 Texas LB target, Rian Davis (Apopka, FL), thought he might be ready to announce a commitment this summer. Davis has already taken official visits to Texas, Alabama and Louisville.
Earlier this week, he let me know that he has decided to go ahead and wait until the season to make an announcement. I’d expect something around the third game of the season.
You’ll recall Davis used to live in the state of TX and has been on campus multiple times. We’ll do some digging to see how high the list Texas is but based on the current information, we suspect they’re up there.
Davis is in Houston for the summer staying with family. However, he will be heading back to Florida on the 24th which is a few days before the Texas will host a number of recruits (July 27th). As such, he says he won’t be able to squeeze in a last minute visit.
TEAM NOTE | A LITTLE MORE DISCUSSION ON JAMISON PLAYING WIDE RECEIVER
– Super K
In the Texas Media guide, freshman D’Shawn Jamison was listed as a wide receiver. Jamison, as you all know, was a highly coveted DB in his school. Yesterday at Big 12 Media Days, coach Tom Herman spoke on the matter…
— Michael Kinney (@EyeAmTruth) July 17, 2018
On Monday I had spoken with a source regarding Jamison playing wide receiver and posted the notes below on our Donor Board. It seems consistent with what Herman said yesterday.
– With the depth and returners on defense, Jamison is unlikely to start on that side of the ball. Essentially this is seen as a situation that could, for the time, be mutually beneficial. Texas gets a dynamic athlete in the slot and Jamison gives himself a chance to get on the field early.
– However, I am told that the plan is for Jamsion to return to the defensive side of the ball, at some point – perhaps as early as fall camp if wide receiver doesn’t seem to fit.
– Was also told that Jamison, having experience playing DB and already being fairly comfortable with the playbook, would make a transition back to defense easier. To get a decent look on the offensive side of the ball, it was important for him to get some much needed wide receiver work. Steeper learning curve for him there.
– It’s worth noting that the idea of working Jamison in on the offensive side of the ball was something that the Texas staff sold him on during the recruiting process. I was told it was talked about more in terms of a package type situation. That may very well be where this all ends up.
– Either way, if/when he settles back in on the defensive side, seeing things from the opposite side of the field should certainly help him.
MARCUS WASHINGTON ANNOUNCES COMMITMENT DATE
– Super K
It appears Marcus Washington has once again reset his commitment date back to this summer.
Commitment video ideas & commitment edits? It’s bout that time💯 August 7th I’m back on
— Marcus Washington (@_MarcusW11) July 17, 2018
As Will recently noted, we do not anticipate Washington making it to campus before August 7th. He is scheduled to take his official visit to Texas for the USC game.
We are working to confirm with Marcus if that visit will happen irrespective of his August 7th decision.
Obviously, if he announces on August 7th without having visited Texas, we do not expect his choice to be Texas. If they get him on campus though, call me crazy but I bet they either flip him or make it very very interesting.
***Since this note was originally posted on the donor board I have had a chance to speak with some folks around Washington. I hope to have a full update up later in the week but I will simply say that, I’d be a bit surprised if Washington sticks with this newly announced commitment timeline.